Shabby

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Korah... an Unforgettable Experience



The area of Korah, next to the city's dump in Addis Ababa, is considered a rejected community b/c of the history of being a leper colony and the fact they THINK these people are cursed. The first full day in Korah, Sammy, who grew up in this area and also found his food at the dump for many years (has an incredible testimony you can read about at www.help4korah.blogspot.com), took us here to meet the people, minister and share Jesus' love with those we came in contact.
He warned us of the smell, but we really had NO IDEA what to expect. He told us to "walk where I walk" and we followed, climbing on top of mountains of garbage for a good 10 minutes. Then, we came to the front where the trucks were dumping and there were hundreds of people. Unlike I had ever seen, all ages of people including some small children, searching for something valuable... mostly food, but anything they could use and maybe even sell. Many gather ripe bananas that have been thrown away and sell those on the streets. One of the members of our group, Cherrie, started praying out loud, "Lord, my help comes from you... My help comes from you alone, Lord," over and over again. God took care of us noticing the smell or even where we were. When we began talking with these teenagers and young adults, I forgot where we were entirely. We gave out these "silly bands" that we thought only the little ones would like, but no, everyone wanted one! :) One young man named Solomon gave me a dirty strip of paper and made it into a bracelet for me. Soon, a young girl came up and asked me about my power band and I began trying to communicate its meaning, but struggling b/c NO ONE in my presence understood a word! I prayed, "Lord somehow help me communicate your love for them and saving grace." I also heard later that a friend of mine in our group was praying while I was trying to get this important message across! Thank you Jenny! Then, a young man named Michael came up behind me and asked if he could help... Praise the Lord! So I was able to share the gospel with a group of teenagers and young adults using my power band and then the Evangecube... LOVE that thing! But here is some comic relief... when I came to sharing the passage I have known since I was probably 3 yrs. old, John 3:16, I came to a BLANK after the first 10 words!! And a TN friend next to me also came to a BLANK!!! So, I just gave them a gist and God moved still, despite my shortcomings!! Ha! After praying, I encouraged them to learn from Sammy and those ministers in the area and learn as much scripture as possible, attend the church in Korah and try and gain access to a Bible, which is now their guide for life! They informed me that they didn't have one, so we will be working on that, as well as getting many of them an education to learn to read and much more!

One of my sweet new friends from Korah.

Fun little boys enjoying a snack and drink at the church.

Sweet beautiful girls loving lunch and trying to share lunch with me. :)

Silly boys!

A beautiful family watching as we visited homes in Korah

This sweet child came out to greet us as we walked through his neighborhood.

We also took some of these precious children and young adults to a nearby diner for some good Ethiopian food and a soda. We had so much fun getting to know them, best we could with the language barrier. At this time, I gave my Evangecube to Solomon so he could share his newfound love for Jesus with friends and family. He seems to have taken this responsibility seriously. I will check on this when we go again soon! :)
I also gave my power band bracelet to Michael for him to use and teach others as well. I am confident he will!

My new friend, Solomon, one of whom heard the Gospel and who I gave the E-cube to. We hope to send him to vocational school to help him take care of his mother and 2 siblings.

2 more friends ... The one with the big smile in the back is an INCREDIBLE artist.
He drew my "tatoos" on both arms. :)

Sammy has dedicated his life to helping get these kids out of the dump, an education at a nearby school or Christian boarding school, food and shelter, and sharing Jesus with them on a daily basis while meeting their needs. God is doing awesome things and I will continue to pray for His hand to bless these ministry efforts!!

Bisrat (helped me find Gladney homes!) and Sammy

Praise Him for His glory that was made known!
Praise Him for those on the field in these areas loving and serving to further His kingdom!

Here are a few sites and ministries we were a part of...

www.147millionorphans.com www.myfathershouseintl.org www.ahopeforchildren.org


Also, if you are seeking to find a ministry to contribute towards to make Him famous among the unreached people groups of this world, fulfilling the Great Commission,

iGo Global is a GREAT one!! :) www.igoglobal.org

We are in agreement that we should all give towards the church we attend, and we truly must, but there is so much more I know we could do and should do, as far as GOING and SENDING! Kent will be teaching in our BFG starting this week on living radically and what that means for us. I pray I am challenged (I know I will be!) and God truly does a work in my heart that brings me closer to His and what He desires for my life.


Can He trust us to go and continue His work he has started around the world? Isn't that our job? Will we let Him down and be selfish with our time and gifts He has entrusted to us? Or will we let Him use US to bless others and bring His Name glory!!!????

2 comments:

emily martin said...

It is hard to even fathom the way some people have to live. ...yet look at the beautiful smiles on their faces!

Jodi said...

Tammy,
I have so enjoyed your posts on your trip to Africa! Beautiful people and beautiful smiles!!